Facility-Wide COVID-19 Outbreak, Stronger Visitor Restrictions Enacted
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
October 19, 2022
(Lindsay, ON) – Ross Memorial Hospital was declared in a facility-wide COVID-19 outbreak today by the Haliburton, Kawartha, Pine Ridge District (HKPR) Health Unit.
Further visiting restrictions have been put in place to prevent transmission of the virus and to protect staff and patients.
In addition to passing COVID-19 symptom screening, visitors will only be allowed into the hospital to see patients in the following scenarios:
- Patients who are near end-of-life (within weeks).
- Patients who are under 18 years of age (supported by parents or legal guardians).
- Patients requiring a support person when:
- receiving a life-altering diagnosis,
- experiencing a mental health crisis, or
- they are developmentally or intellectually delayed.
- Patients requiring a support person to safely attend their appointment.
- For example, due to dementia, significant developmental or intellectual delay, the inability to effectively communicate, mobility issues that cannot be supported by the health-care team, etc.
- Patients giving birth at the hospital (supported by birthing partner).
Individuals who require emergency medical care should still be accessing our hospital’s Emergency Department.
Patients with less urgent conditions are implored to consider alternate options for care such as their primary health care provider, pharmacist, after-hours clinic, virtual care, or calling Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000. After-hours clinics can often treat non-urgent and minor illnesses and ailments, such as earaches, sore throats or prescription refills.
- Ross Memorial had 18 COVID-19 positive patients admitted in the hospital as of earlier today.
- Ross Memorial’s Surgical South and Rehab units were declared in COVID-19 outbreak by the HKPR Health Unit on October 12.
- The earliest the facility-wide outbreak may be lifted is November 5, 2022. (Updated as of November 1)
For more information:
Communications and Public Affairs Officer
Ross Memorial Hospital